Adverse events impact not only patients but patients’ families and clinical staff, who strive to provide safe, high quality care. BETA HEART® (healing, empathy, accountability, resolution and trust) is a coordinated program that helps member organizations create a reliable, sustainable and transparent culture of safety.
Creating such a culture often requires changes throughout the organization. BETA HEART® is designed to help you develop and promote an empathic and clinically appropriate process that supports healing of both the patient and clinician. It ensures accountability for creating reliable systems that support the delivery of safe care. And it provides a mechanism for early, ethical resolution when harm occurs as a result of medical error or inappropriate care. By instilling trust between clinicians and patients, BETA’s holistic approach results in improved relationships with patients, patient’s families and caregivers.
BETA HEART® is a multi-year, interactive and collaborative process for addressing an array of impacts from adverse events. It provides:
- A process for early identification and rapid response
- A human factors approach to event investigation using a fair, just culture framework
- An honest and empathic communication with patients and family members that demonstrates a culture shift toward greater transparency
- A process for ensuring support for caregivers involved in an adverse event
- A formal method for early resolution when harm is deemed a result of inappropriate care or medical error
For additional BETA HEART resources, please follow the links below.